Sign language interpretation is a core service run by DAS for our Deaf clients who depend on sign language to access information and help with communication. Our staff interpreters sign and interpret in Singapore Sign Language (SgSL), Pidgin Sign English (PSE), Signing Exact English (SEE), or a combination of the above.
Our staff interpreters also have extensive interpreting experience in a diverse range of settings – at schools, law courts, corporate workshops, government functions among other places and events. All our interpreters follow a professional code of ethics, which includes appropriate conduct when on official duty and safeguarding clients’ privacy.
If our full-time interpreters are fully booked, we may also assign an interpreter from our pool of community interpreters.
Interpretation Service Rates
Notice: With effect from Tuesday, 1 November 2022, there will be an update to our service fees.
Please refer to the following table for events from Tuesday, 1 November 2022 onwards. The below rates will apply, unless there is a pre-existing contract between SADeaf and the requesting entity.
There are no changes to membership benefits for Deaf and hard of hearing members of SADeaf.
There are no major changes to the details of the terms and conditions of our services apart from the addition of the following terms and conditions:
“Services will be charged at 2 times the listed rates on public holidays (including Eve of public holidays) and 1.5 times the listed rates for service hours rendered between 12 midnight and 7am.”
Terms and Conditions for Interpretation Service
- Requests for sign language interpretation services should be made on the standard online request form from the Singapore Association for the Deaf (SADeaf).
- For assignments that involve extensive turn taking, are intense, or longer than 2 hours, at least two interpreters should be activated to prevent physical and mental fatigue and to maintain accuracy.
- Requestors shall be required to attach any relevant documents/materials in the submission of the Application form or via email. SADeaf shall reserve the right to reject applications without supporting documents/materials.
- Requestors shall inform SADeaf on the preferred sign system and/or spoken language(s) used by the Deaf and/or Hearing clients(s) where possible.
- Services will be charged at 2 times the listed rates on public holidays (including Eve of public holidays) and 1.5 times the listed rates for service hours rendered between 12 midnight and 7am.
- Late bookings: $30 Levy Charge (for requests made within 3 working days before the date of requested service). Requestors are further advised to book at least 7 days before the actual event to allow adequate preparation time for the interpreter.
- Late cancellations (24 hours): For cancellations made less than 24 hours from start time of requested service, a $10 Levy Charge will be chargeable.
- Late cancellations (2 hours): For cancellations made less than two hours from start of requested service, the minimum interpretation charge shall still be chargeable.
- No shows: Interpreters shall not be obliged to wait for more than an hour for the client upon arrival at the assigned location. If the client did not turn up, the minimum interpretation charge shall still be chargeable.
- Actual billable duration of service will be rounded up to the next 30 minutes.For example, if service is provided for 2 hours 10 minutes, it will be billed as 2 hrs 30 mins of service.
- All requests shall be processed within three working days. However, the interpreter assigned shall be made known to the requestor only around three days prior to the appointed date.
- Invoices shall be mailed to the requestor upon completion of the interpretation service.
- SADeaf may reasonably reject a request or withdraw an application with a written notice at least three working days prior to the appointment date.
- Requests for different modules / subjects / nature of lessons (for lectures / tutorials / practicals) will be considered as separate requests.
- SADeaf may reasonably alter or amend the Terms & Conditions and the interpretation charges at any time at its own discretion with prior notice upon receipt of request.
*The minimum billable hours policy is to cover the overhead costs of activating a service provider to deliver the service. Such costs include professional fees, operational and administrative costs, transport and other invisible expenses incurred.
(Last updated: 17 October 2022)